September 25, 2012

When Boozin' Susan became Miss Davis

The title comes from a text message my roommate sent me on my first day of teaching that combines my college nickname and my current title. It speaks truth. While the two names are vastly different, the person is the same - a hot mess with a big heart. This is what happens when I am in charge of 32 second graders:
  • Teachers forget their lunches too; in which case I force my kids to give me their leftovers. (Gimme yo food!) So far I have feasted on pears and bread.
  • I underestimated my students' gullibility and told them I was 40 years old. They called me out on it and guessed I was 20. I'll take it.
  • On an opposite note, a parent asked if I had kids of my own during a home visit. If she thought I was old enough to have reproduced, she thought I was old enough to have teaching experience! I'll take it.
  • Each and every time I say "y'all," my students obnoxiously laugh out loud. 
  • While reading aloud to my students on the rug the other day, I saw one tear ear holes in a tissue and wear it like Santa's beard. I obnoxiously laughed out loud.
  • A student asked why my armpits were wet in the middle of a lesson. #embarrassing 
I love them, and I think they love me too. Hopefully they are learning something. Anything.



2 comments:

  1. You have described MY new life too! And what do ya know...we are both Miss Davis! xo -JD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,

      Hahah I love it! We were way better at being college students than teachers. Maybe it'll change one day?

      Delete