December 29, 2014

Read This Book If You Want to Take Great Photographs by Henry Carroll

I own a camera. A DSLR to be specific. So, I own a nice camera. It has been abroad with me on multiple occasions. It has photographed a wedding--fear not, I was not the photographer. It has been used so much that the white labels on the buttons have worn off.

The truly disappointing fact is that I never actually learned how to use my nice camera. I would photograph in auto mode or sports mode, which is apparently a sin. While I was still able to take high-quality photographs, they weren't as good as they could have been.

While I was Christmas shopping, I happened upon this book. It's blunt title reminded me of a Tyler Perry movie, but captured my attention nonetheless.


Henry Carroll takes a no-nonsense approach to teach settings and framing and all things photography. I have used it more as a reference book than as a page-turner, but it means that this book hasn't hit my book shelf since I bought it. 

If you're like me and want to become a good amateur photographer, then read this book. You can buy it here.