August 31, 2014

Rhythm

I am a cyclist and a runner--no team sports for this girl! I also love endurance activities. I'm often asked what the draw is to running or cycling for multiple hours. This is what I tell people: I fall into a rhythm, and I just can't stop.

I can obviously hear the sound of the rhythm, but I can also feel it. I feel it in my body, but I also feel it in my soul. The rhythm is familiar to me, and I love it.

During the Camino de Santiago, I would fall into a walking rhythm on a daily basis. It was slower than my cycling or my running cadence, but it slowed me down to appreciate ALL of nature, ALL of the people I was walking with, and ALL of my thoughts.


I was humbled during the last 150 miles of the Camino when my foot became injured. My right foot was really swollen and I couldn't lace up my boot. It hurt to walk on it, but I still did. None of the other pilgrims made a big deal about it, so I didn't make a big deal about it. I couldn't keep the same fun rhythmic cadence and was forced to walk at a snail's pace. I still had a rhythm to my walk though--it was just much slower and quieter and longer.

Now, I have my own rhythm, even slower than my snail's pace on the Camino. I found out that I have 4 bones in my foot and ankle with stress fractures and 2 other bones in my ankle experienced trauma. I have crutches and a walking boot, and I walk painfully slow. It's hard to carry anything without a backpack to put it in. While the crutches and the boot are physically and mentally tough, I can't help but hear that rhythm when I'm walking and let it fuel me to keep going. This is only temporary and the Camino is eternal. The injury was totally worth it.

Side note: You read that correctly. I walked the last 150 miles of the Camino with a broken foot. I'm either really impressive or stupid. I don't know which.

Before:



After:


Now: